Saturday, October 5, 2013

On Raisins and other "Necessities"

I'm not feeling all that well today. As a result I'm turning to comfort foods. It was Oatmeal for breakfast (with cinnamon and raisins), a little more of the same later on and then a slice of raisin toast for a snack mid afternoon. A theme is beginning to develop here.... I'm a raisin addict. I confess it wholeheartedly. I love their natural sweetness: in my cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, granola, in a muffin, or toast. How many more things can you eat them in?... Oh yes, bread pudding! The thing is, raisins are primarily produced in California. That's WAY outside my local area. What's a girl to do? (Scratches head and turns to her trusty computer.) After a few minutes of research I have the answer. Prunes! Prunes are just dehydrated plums and plums grow wild, literally wild, in New England. They are an indigenous plant! They are also cultivated widely here. I can probably purchase prunes from a local farm or at the very least grab myself a bushel of plums and dehydrate them myself. Once dried and chopped they will be just as sweet and delicious as my beloved raisins, and best of all they'll be local.

On a more serious note. For those of you who have been wondering about my earlier query regarding facial tissue (AKA T.P.) I was unable to locate a manufacturer in New England. But I did find one in New Jersey. If any of you local living enthusiasts have a stumper like this one, a good source of information is Thomas Register

So, I'd say that is local living challenge number one solved with an 80% success rate (New Jersey is just a little bit outside of New England). With regards to the raisins, well I give that solution an A+. Prunes are fabulous and the solution is totally local.

No comments:

Post a Comment