Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Coffee, Tea or the Environment?

Just brewing up a cup of  "Not Coffee" as I sit down to write this blog
I've finally done it. After almost 2 years of trying and failing I have finally given up coffee. I've been coffee free for 2 whole days! And to be honest I don't really feel tired. I think that after a few more days I will be sleeping better and I will feel better than ever. 

I have often thought that giving up coffee would be a good idea for health reasons, but then after reading Radical Simplicity by Jim Merkel and learning just how many acres it takes to produce the coffee I drink, I was determined that I needed to give it up for environmental reasons. It was still  hard though. I would wake up in the morning exhausted after a long night of tossing and turning and say to myself  "I'm just so tired, I've got to have just one cup", then 3PM rolled around and I HAD to have a cup to get my through until 5PM and keep me alert on the long drive home. It was a vicious circle! 

This week, after a couple more sleepless nights staring at the ceiling and yet another article on the impact of coffee production and distribution on the environment I knew the time had finally come. I got up in the morning and brewed a cup of herbal tea. I'm not looking back. When I'm really in a pinch I can brew up a cup on my friend Dawnie's famous "not coffee" tea. If you'd like to get your hands on some, you can reach Dawn via her Facebook page Sun Moon Stars Herbals.

For those of you who say, "well that's all well and good for you, but I just can't give up my coffee and/or tea." Fret not! There is  a way that you can have your coffee and tea and reduce your impact on the environment. This article has some information about the impact and the options. And this one from the National Resource Defense Council has a more in depth discussion of the topic. And remember, every step you take, even the little ones, make an impact. If everyone who reads this reduces their coffee consumption by even 10% that will be positive impact for the planet. And the more you reduce the more positive the impact. 

I hope that you will find these resources informative and helpful. And until next time.... Travel Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment