Thursday, February 13, 2014

It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Thanks for this great image: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/almir1968/almir19681011/almir1968101100013/8164239-green-earth.jpg

Just over three months into this and I'm finding that it isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I set off with great expectations and high hopes of changing the world. I find I'm struggling to meet the ambitious goals that I set for myself and coming up against challenges on a daily basis. One of my primary challenges is getting the family on board. It's hard to keep to those lofty goals when Hubby complains that local paper is too expensive and Son wants to live on frozen sandwich pockets and mac-n-cheese. I push and nudge and cajole and get things done the right way just as often as I can, but there are days when Hubby does the shopping and I have to live with what comes into the house.

So what do you do? I just keep trying to live by example and share new information and research with them when I get the opportunity. I have seen them start to take into account what they are putting into their mouths. Son hasn't quit drinking coffee, but he has definitely cut back and he tells me that he is much more conscious now about how he disposes of things, whether they should be composted, recycled or tossed. Hubby is buying less junk food and candy and snacking more on fruit and veggies. And he didn't complain about the local facial tissue. To give him credit, he did encourage me to get involved in our CSA and is volunteering at the farmer's market and buying local meat. 

All in all things are moving in the right direction and I'm taking a more realistic view of things. Goals are goals after all. Something that we work toward. Of course we do have to set time limits on things if we hope to reach our goals. And there are real pressing issues of climate change, population growth and resource depletion that need to be addressed sooner rather than later if we hope to make the needed changes before it's too late. So I'm sticking to my goals and planning to reach them within this One Earth Revolution. 

I hope you all have set goals for yourselves as well. Working together we can make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment