Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Let's add a 4th R: Repair!

So a girl gets herself a pair of the most fabulous little black boots. 
image from http://emmalinabeauty.blogspot.com/2012/08/paying-homage-to-topshop-boots.html

(This girl is not a shoe junkie.) And she wares them almost every day. Well, they're fashionable and versatile. They go with just about everything and before you know it that little hard plastic cap on the heel is just shot. It's worn right through! I wish I had a picture to show you, but you'll just have to imagine it. There is the shoe with the black plastic all worn and ragged and this strange white plastic honeycomb showing through. Now I got these fabulous boots second hand, which is already reuse right? And so they wore out and I tossed them (well actually I think Hubby may have squirreled them away and partsed them out for the leather). But then this morning, as I was getting ready for work, I realized I didn't have any sturdy little black boots with chunky little heels that wouldn't make me feel like I was walking around on stilts all day like the ones I was wearing.  I suddenly thought, "gosh I wish I had those fabulous little black boots!" This thought was immediately followed by, "I probably could have repaired them." Which was followed by, "You know, we really need to add "repair" to that great list of: reduce, reuse, recycle."

I think that often times the excuse for new acquisitions is that something we currently own has become less efficient in its operation due to wear and tear or has become non-functional due to same or to mistreatment. Often these over-loved and utilized objects could be restored and or repaired for a fraction of the input of resources and money that replacing them would cost. So the next time you have some object that is worn down but not quite out - just grab your trusty electronic device and Google away to find great how to tips and videos on how to repair it or, if you prefer, search for local repair persons and support a local business. Perhaps you will learn some new skills, find a new interest or meet a new friend. They are all good things and you will be helping the environment and the local economy to boot. (No pun intended, no really....) It's a win, win, win!

As for this girl, I guess it's off to the thrift store to find me another pair of fabulous second hand boots. And the next time I'm feeling a bit down-at-the heel I'll just take my own advice and get a little knowledge on how to spruce up those tired old clod hoppers and get them ready for dancing again. 

Until next time, dance lightly...

No comments:

Post a Comment