Friday, November 8, 2013

Oh for home made bread...

This morning I enjoyed 2 tiny little eggs courtesy of the friendly girls out back. You can see those little cream colored eggs in the photo below. I wish I had a photo of the gorgeous yolks, but my camera was not handy and I didn't want them to get overdone. They were bright orange! Along with my eggs I had a cup of locally roasted coffee from the coffee roaster just a short trip down the road from our place. The aroma! And some toast. This was the one disappointment in my morning. The toast was made from some store bought bread that we had in the freezer. We had to clean out the freezer to make room for all the stuff from our garden and the wonderful turkey from Spruce Creek Farm. The whole time I was eating my breakfast I kept thinking about the delicious home made bread that Hubby made last week with the organic wheat flour from Misty Brook Farm. It was a sensory experience for eyes, nose and mouth. The store bought bread was rather bland and crumby and I pined for that homemade bread.


Some days, as we are out working around, Hubby says, tongue-in-cheek, "Let's have a farm, he said. It'll be fun....." the monologue continues. The point of the monologue being that it's a bit of work this farming business. But I can tell you that the sense of satisfaction that you feel when you see your plants growing and thriving and your property being improved, and when you sit down to a meal of delicious food that you have grown and prepared yourself it is well worth every bit of labor you put in. And the work itself gives more satisfaction than almost any other kind of labor.

There are sacrifices to be made to live locally and sustainably, but I think that once you have adapted, you wont think of them as sacrifices so much, or you just wont think of them. You'll be too busy enjoying the fruits of your labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment